Safe Search Lock is a parental control setting that makes SearchScene safer for kids, whether at home or at school.
It can also be used on public-facing computers, such as libraries, etc. The Safe Search Lock does the following…
- It sets and locks the Safe Search setting to “Strict”, which means that no adult content or explicit images or videos will be shown in the search results.
- It removes the Safe Search setting from the search results pages, so that it is not obvious to children or other users that an alternate setting even exists.
Limitations (click to expand)
- The Safe Search Lock is not a substitute for proper supervision of your child or student on the internet. We recommend that children use the family computer in a communal setting and that children are properly educated on the dangers of using the internet in advance. Young children should always be supervised whilst online.
- No filter is 100% perfect. That said, enabling Safe Search Lock will help to ensure that your children are not exposed to adult material or violent material whilst online.
- The password you set is stored on your device. Clearing your browser's cookies and local storage will erase the password. As such, an older child with some knowledge and determination may be able to erase the password and unlock Safe Search.
- Safe Search Lock is specific to the SearchScene search engine. It has no effect on other websites or search engines being accessed via your browser and has no effect on other external applications, such as the YouTube app, Facebook app, etc.
- If using the SearchScene iOS or Android app on your phone or tablet, this setting will not prevent your child from accessing adult material on that phone or tablet. This setting only affects the search results displayed by the SearchScene.com search engine. Please see below.
- There is nothing stopping a child from navigating to a different search engine and executing a search from there.
- There is nothing stopping a child from accessing an adult site by typing its URL directly into your browser's URL bar.
- This setting needs to be set on each computer and for each browser (and for each browser profile) where SearchScene is being used.
If your children or students are using SearchScene, then it is our recommendation that the Safe Search Lock be used in conjunction with
some parental software such as NetNanny or